GEM - The Galactic Emission Mapping Project
Recruitment for GEM Brazil Operations
Fine Dining in Cachoiera Paulista with the GEM team
The GEM project is an on-going international collaborative effort in the
fields of radioastronomy and cosmology.
However, day to day operations are important and an evening relaxation
at one of Cachoiera Paulista's fine resturants is a welcome break
in the day's routine.
Beer and pizza
are a favorite.
The following pictures shows such a typical meal:
- 1 Camilo Tello and George Smoot
chow down at Nino's Italian resturant.
- 2 A bottle of Bohemia - Brazil's oldest
premium beer produced in Rio state (carioca) in front
of an out-of-focus Thyrso Villela
- Beer figures prominently in Brazil
and in this meal. This shows bottles of Antarctica beer (my favorite
as served very cold), Bohemia (now owned by the Antarctica company),
and the other large competitor Brahma.
- 3 Alex Wuensche and Thryso in the background
and one of the special pizzas in the foreground.
- 4 Camilo Tello and George Smoot
working intently on their food.
- 5 Thyrso Villela, Alex Wuensche, and George Smoot
getting more animated and active as the beer and pizza have their effect.
- 6 A close shot of the next pizza with the
Antarctica beer next to it.
- 7 Camilo Tello and George Smoot
slow down at Nino's Italian resturant. Everyone is getting full.
- 8 A stop at Copocabana beach in Rio
for a couple of days off before returning to the US.
Go to the GEM main page
to learn more about GEM.
Or go to
pictures and information from Brazil page to learn more about
operations in Brazil.
Return to the Smoot Group
page for a complete description of Dr. Smoot's group's research activities.